Paul Cunningham and I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting Microsoft Exchange. Not only in our careers as IT Professionals but also in various communities and forums. We’ve often encountered other IT Professionals asking what they can do to grow their Exchange skillset, or learn how to become a more effective Exchange Server Troubleshooter. Maybe it’s someone beginning their careers and wishing to become an Exchange expert, or someone who is established in the IT profession but has recently been charged with maintaining an Exchange environment. Or maybe someone wishing to give their helpdesk staff a bit of a boost in proficiency of handling inbound Exchange cases.
When asked, I’ve often tried to point them to published books, blogs, videos, etc. However, much of what’s available is either scattered in various different places or is written from a product feature or marketing perspective. This past year we began work on a book that focused on troubleshooting Exchange as well as how the product works “under the hood” so to speak. With a focus on function and a layout which allows you to read at your own pace (or to use it as a troubleshooting reference with many relevant links to tools/blog/etc.), I’m very proud of the product we’ve produced.
To create this book, Paul and I spent a lot of time comprising much of our own “tips and tricks”, “do’s and don’ts”, and best practices for Exchange troubleshooting that we’ve gathered over the years. Along with it, we wrote in-depth explanations for how the product works as well as our beliefs of how an IT Professional should go about troubleshooting Microsoft Technologies.
Who is the book for?
- New IT Professional expected to manage or support Exchange Server
- Seasoned IT Professional who may be tasked with supporting Exchange Server, though they may not have extensive experience with the product
- Helpdesk staff required to support Exchange Server or various clients used to connect to Exchange Server or Office 365
- IT Professional looking for practical, real-world scenario, training material for Exchange Server
Just Some of the Troubleshooting Topics Covered
- Client Access/Certificates
- Exchange Transport and SMTP Mail Flow
- Mailbox Services
- Active Directory
- Backup and Disaster Recovery
- High Availability